Monday, October 26, 2009

Sharon, Vermont

For Columbus Day we decided to go out for a drive. I really wanted to see the leaves changing color. We decided to head to Sharon, Vermont where the prophet Joseph Smith was born. The property is a sacred place. I enjoyed thinking of Joseph as a young baby seeing the beautiful scenery, and crawling around on wooden floors. I am grateful that we were able to go to his birthplace. We had a fun time together. I also liked thinking about the things Joseph did for the Church and what a great prophet he was. I am grateful for my testimony of Joseph Smith.
The monument was built 100 years after his death (I believe, or it was the organization of the church). It stands 38 1/2 feet tall, one foot for every year of the prophets life. The day was cold be we enjoyed hearing testimonies from the missionaries. This was one of our best family photos.
Lincoln was a trooper. This time he wasn't asleep, he had done plenty of that on the way up.Parker was being a little pill or as I sometimes call him, 'turd.' He kept pulling the petals off of the flowers. He had done it once as we were talking to some missionaries and they said it was okay. I felt otherwise. Look at what he is doing in this picture!! Yes, he is breaking the plant. The plant stuck like that after he touched it. We couldn't even prop it up to look like the others. I just hope that we can be forgiven for not putting a leash on our child. :)After that incident, we couldn't get a good family picture. Parker was a little grumpy because of his needed punishment. I think we just told him he couldn't touch the plants anymore, and Willie tried to hold him down the rest of the time (piggy back style or normal style).The leaves were very beautiful. I love this season. I love all of the seasons! I love to watch the weather change.I think Willie was tickling P-man in this picture, it worked, he smiled.Isn't Lincoln so cute?We decided to go Geo-caching when we were done with the Joseph Smith Birthplace. We found this great pond. Parker loved playing in the leaves. Lincoln fell asleep so he didn't get to see it. Parker and Willie had fun throwing rocks into the water, oh boys!
This is a video of the boys throwing rock in the pond. I had one of Parker in the leaves but it wouldn't work. It really was a beautiful place to visit.

1 comment:

Alisa and Crowells said...

SO beautiful! You guys geo-cache? Lori loves it! That pond is a way cool find!