Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Quincy.

A visit to the home of John Adams and John Quincy Adams. We took an hour long drive down to 'Braintree.' The weather was spectacular. Willie has read a little bit about John Adams and I know that very distantly I am related to him. I guess we should have gone to the family reunion. One of the best parts about going down was that it was $5 to get a tour of the three homes John lived in. We only paid $5 because Willie is a student at Georgia Tech and he was free and the kids were free too! This was definitely a great trip. Our trolley tour time started at nap time.
Parker and Willie enjoying some snacks before we head to our first stop.
Lincoln and me smiling at Willie getting excited to learn some history.Willie was the man of the hour! He did amazing holding onto Parker. That's a lot of dead weight. I struggled with Lincoln and I had the carrier for him. I'm weak-sauce. Here is Willie cleaning his shoes after exiting the house. I love details like that when we visit old towns/buildings.
We weren't allowed to take pictures in here. There were only a few things in this home that were original; beams, fireplace, etc.
I must have been really intrigued during our visit to the second home of John Quincy because I don't have any pictures of it other than of Willie cleaning his shoes on the porch. A cool thing that they had in the second home was a long pole with a fan of sharp sticks at the end that was used to catch eel in the rivers. The first two homes were very open with only a little bit of furniture.
The third home was when John and Abigail returned from France. They wanted a bigger home, and they got it (over time). This home had many artifacts that came from many members of the family. Parker finally woke up during the tour of this house. That's a long time for Willie to hold onto Parker. Great job Will.
Here's Lincoln and I getting ready to enter the house. Once you are in this house you are in, they shut and lock all the doors behind them. With the kids we were a little nervous about this part, but because they were in the middle of their naps we didn't mind. They did wake up in the middle but they were still tired so it worked out.
The building behind me is John's library. He never saw it, but John Quincy build it for him. There were tons of books inside. This was an awesome collection of books for one man.I thought this was a pretty picture. The gardens are so beautiful.This picture was fun because we set it up on a small shrub that went around the garden. It worked out alright.We had someone take our picture for us this time.Parker had fun taking his shoes off and putting rocks inside of them. He had a great time pushing Lincoln in the stroller. Parker was so dirty when we left, I guess that's alright as long as he had fun.

4 comments:

Allen and Co. said...

Wow, that looks like a really neat tour. It really is beautiful! You both did great holding your boys, I get tired holding Tori!!! I love seeing all of your adventures... keep them coming!

Alisa and Crowells said...

How awesome! This is ONE tour I really wish we would have done. I really like John Adams and hearing about his fam. I think I like the picture taken by the grass more than the one taken by the person! :)

Michelle said...

That all looks so awesome. I miss you guys!

Deidre said...

I love foot scrapers. When I own a home it will have that detail. :)