Friday, August 14, 2009

Two Months, No Milk.

Willie and I decided to get Parker to drink milk from a straw over two months ago. Two days after he started drinking from the straw and we threw the bottle nipple away he stopped drinking milk. We took off to Utah without a plan. We kept encouraging him to drink milk. We tried getting him to drink from many types of containers and we've tried Chocolate Milk. Willie tried injecting it into him like you would nasty medicine, yuck. I tried tricking him and also tried using food coloring. We made it back to Atlanta and told our Dr. about it. She said, 'you need to get him to drink milk.' That was the advice she gave us. At that point we had been trying for nearly a month. Willie noticed a few weeks ago that Parker doesn't really eat anything dairy. He will eat a little bit of cheddar cheese. He doesn't like the milk, yogurt, ice cream, and all other cheeses. So for those of you who have kids or great knowledge in calcium intake do you have suggestions? By the way Parker doesn't like cold items (Popsicles, ice cream, etc.), he won't try juices and he seems to be a little obsessive compulsive. Should I be that worried?
The other day on 'Word World' there was a great episode that we watched where Ant wouldn't drink milk because he didn't like it. Then he ran into Duck and Shark and they were having a 'try it out picnic.' Ant eventually tried the milk and decided he liked it. I thought it would be a good influence on Parker, he did try a pickle but he wouldn't try the milk.

2 comments:

Etts a Beautiful Life said...

Have you tried witholding his favorite food, toy or activity only for trying milk? If he has something that he absolutely loves, make it a special reward and don't give it to him at all EVER except just for trying the milk. The reward could even be something special that he gets to do with mom or dad. I think a lot of people try rewards but the problem is that the child has access to the reward all the time so its not effective. Does that make sense?

Anonymous said...

I remember Seth had a problem switching from my milk to cows milk with Seth when he was a little over one year old (& getting off the bottle). He didn't drink enough milk & he got really pale & was low on iron. Is Parker allergic to milk that you know of? I think what we tried to do with Seth was get him a really cool sippy cup, something that isn't see through (so he can't see what he's drinking). I can't remember what else we did..... I hope something works for him! Sorry I'm not much help